9.20.2013

Fall Recipe

I realize it's been a while since I posted a recipe and last night I made a dinner that used so many fall farm fresh ingredients that I had to make a point to take pictures and share it with you. I made squash soup and I made up the recipe so will try to recount it for you. There are so many variations of squash soup and I wanted one that wasn't too sweet and had bright flavors so I added ginger and cardamom and fenugreek.  I had some leftover chorizo in the freezer and took it out of the casing and cooked it up so it was crispy and crumbly.  The spice really balanced the sweetness of the squash and I always love topping this soup off with some caramelized apples which were windfalls from a neighbor.  If I didn't have chorizo I would have also added bacon and/or blue cheese. I feel that squash soup always deserves some toppings to spice it up a little bit.


Although the soup could have been a meal on it's own, I also made a meatloaf and tomato salad. Maybe the combination of the meatloaf and the squash soup is a bit heavy but it was a great meal to eat out on the porch on a cool fall night!



Squash Soup

2 butternut squash
1 large onion, roughly chopped
1/4 cup minced fresh ginger
2 carrots, roughly chopped
1 potato, roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup plain greek yogurt
3 cups chicken stock
1/4 tsp fenugreek
1/4 tsp cardamom

Peel, seed, and cube the squash into rough pieces and roast in the oven at 400 for about 30 minutes or until soft. Sautee onions and carrots and potato in your soup pot on the stove top in some olive oil until just starting to brown. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for a few minutes. Add the squash and the chicken stock. You can add as much stock as you like depending on how big your squash are and how thick you like the soup. Add enough stock to cover the vegetables and let simmer for a few minutes. Once everything seems soft, immersion blend the soup. I like to leave it with some texture so that it's not a smooth puree. Add salt and pepper and the spices and the greek yogurt at the end. Top with your choice of toppings: apple, bacon, chorizo, blue cheese, or croutons.

No comments:

Post a Comment