3.12.2012

Seedlings Up + Fat Rendering Round 2

How awesome was the weather this weekend? It was amazing being outside in the sunshine in shorts and a t-shirt and smelling the fresh air!  Our seedlings are up in the basement under the grow lights and they look very happy so far. The cold frames have been moved to their rightful spot in the garden and have been planted but nothing has come up yet.


Kale, onions, spinach, and beets.



The garlic and rhubarb have made it through the winter and the green stems poking through the leaves is a welcome change in the brown landscape.

A bag of pork fat was delivered to me by Brandon at Sand Farm and I gave rendering fat another go. If you can remember, I attempted this a few months ago cooking the fat over an open fire and it didn't go so well. I didn't know when it was supposed to be done and burned the whole batch.  This time, I knew I had to cook it much slower and steadier so opted to do it on the gas grill.  The smoke didn't taint the taste of the fat and I was able to have much more control over the temperature. Everything went great and I ended up with a good amount of rendered fat. When it cooled it turned a beautiful white color and I look forward to cooking and baking with this!



No comments:

Post a Comment